ZOA’s Director of Government Relations Dan Pollak meets with members of the Senate and the House or their top staffers on a daily basis, to educate Congress about issues critical to the rights, safety, and security of Israel and the Jewish people, and to promote policies beneficial to both Israel and the U.S. ZOA has built strong relationships in Congress, facilitating the passage of major legislation. ZOA officials also testify before Congressional committees (as well as state and local legislatures) on key issues.
Our testimony played an important role in facilitating many Israel-related U.S. policies:
- ZOA was the first Jewish group to champion the Jerusalem Embassy Act and, for decades, the ZOA’s Government Relations department fought to move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem, until this effort succeeded in May 2018.
- ZOA persistently advocated the importance of U.S. recognition of Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, and played an integral role in the ultimate change in official government policy.
- The Government Relations department continues to engage with pro-Israel members of Congress to encourage them to push back on the antisemitic statements made by their colleagues and publicly condemn antisemitism and anti-Zionism in Congress.
- Strongly advocated for Israeli sovereignty in Judea and Samaria and got the Trump administration to support Israel’s right in principle to apply Israeli law in 30% of Judea and Samaria.
- When the Abraham accords were announced, ZOA was the only major Jewish organization to continue to push for sovereignty. ZOA strongly supports peace with additional Arab neighbors.
- During the Trump administration, the Government Relations department led the way in efforts to make ground breaking initiatives through legislation, and not only through executive action. Our efforts have included relations with Iran, protection for Jewish students on campuses, and the curtailing of funds to the Palestinian Authority, especially the funds the PLO uses for the ‘pay to slay’ program, where international funds have been used as incentives for Arabs to kill Israelis and Jews.
- During the Coronavirus pandemic, ZOA has labored to keep foreign policy on the agenda for the very changed environment in Congress and has succeeded in getting vital legislation and congressional letters completed.
The ZOA Government Relations Department also leads an annual Capitol Hill Mission, during which ZOA supporters are joined by ZOA’s staff and leadership in Washington, D.C. to lobby their local government officials on policies that affect Israel and the U.S.
For more information contact Dan Pollak, ZOA’s Director of Government Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.