We Dare Not Repeat the Oslo
Mistake of Ignoring Violations
NEW YORK- The Israeli government has conditioned further progress on the Road Map plan on the complete cessation of terror, violence and incitement, but Palestinian Arab terrorism, violence, and incitement are continuing daily, the Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) points out.
The Israeli cabinet, in its vote on May 25, 2003, said it would accept the Road Map plan if its fourteen points of concern are included in the implementation of the plan. Point #2 states: Full performance will be a condition for progress between phases and for progress within phases. The first condition for progress will be the complete cessation of terror, violence and incitement. Progress between phases will come only following the full implementation of the preceding phase. Attention will be paid not to timelines, but to performance benchmarks (timelines will serve only as reference points).
The Israeli governments 14 points include:
* Dismantling of terrorist organizationsHamas, Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front, the Democratic Front, Al Aqsa Brigades and othersand their infrastructure.
* Incitement must cease immediately and the Palestinian Authority must educate for peace.
* Prevention of terror and violence through arrests, interrogations, prosecution and punishment.
* Cessation of weapons smuggling and weapons production inside the Palestinian Authority.
The ZOA points out that four weeks have now passed since the U.S. adopted the Road Map, and yet the Palestinian Authority has not fulfilled any of its requirements:
* No terrorists have been arrested or prosecuted by the PA.
* No terrorists weapons have been confiscated by the PA.
* No terrorist training camps have been shut down by the PA.
* No terrorist groups have been outlawed by the PA.
* The PA has not changed the names of any streets or schools that were named after terrorists.
* The PA is continuing its policy of providing monetary payments to imprisoned terrorists and terrorists families are continuing.
* Anti-Jewish and anti-American incitement continues every day in the PA-controlled media, schools, summer camps, speeches, and religious sermons.
ZOA National President Morton A. Klein said: Throughout the Oslo process, the U.S. ignored and whitewashed Palestinian Arab violations of the Oslo accords. That convinced the Palestinian Arabs that they could continue to carry out terrorism and commit other violations without consequences. We dare not repeat that mistake with the Road Map.