NEW YORK- The Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) agrees with President Bushs statement that there must be a complete dismantlement of Hamas and other Palestinian Arab terrorist organizations. The question is: will the Bush administration take concrete steps to compel the Palestinian Authority to dismantle the terrorist groups?
In a press conference with European Union leaders on June 25, President Bush said: The true test for Hamas and terrorist organizations is the complete dismantlement of their terrorist networks, their capacity to blow up the peace process in order for there to be peace in the Middle East, we must see organizations such as Hamas dismantled, and then well have peace, well have a chance for peace. (Associated Press, June 25, 2002)
ZOA National President Morton A. Klein noted that Bush has previously called for the dismantling of the terrorist organizations both in his June 2002 speech and in the Road Map that he issued eight weeks ago yet he has not taken action to pressure the Palestinian Authority to dismantle them.
* Arrest and imprison terrorists.
* Outlaw the terrorist groups.
* Confiscate the terrorists tens of thousands of weapons.
* Shut down their training camps and safe houses.
* Fulfill the PAs obligation, in the Oslo accords, to honor Israels 45 requests for extradition requests.
* Stop glorifying terrorists and promoting hatred and murder of Jews, in the PA-controlled media and PA schools.
* Change the names of schools, streets, and parks that have been named after terrorists.