NEW YORK- In the latest of a long series of bizarre conspiracy theories, Yasir Arafat has accused Israel of using a certain type of bullet to cause cancer among Arabs.
Speaking to reporters on July 20, 2004, Arafat falsely alleged that Israel uses depleted- uranium bullets, as part of its plot to cause cancer that is like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Arafat told reporters to visit Palestinian Arab hospitals to confirm his claim, but cancer specialists at hospitals in Ramallah and Bethlehem said that there has been no increase in the cancer rate. Arafat also brandished a report that he said was prepared by the Quartet (the U.S., Russia, the EU, and the U.N.) and proved the cancer claim. But the report was prepared by an obscure anti-Israel group and does not make any claims about the cancer rate. Arafat also accused Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of being a secret member of an extremist group involved in the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin. (Washington Times, July 21, 2004)
Morton A. Klein, National President of the Zionist Organization of America (ZOA), said: If the leaders of any other regime promoted such insane, hate-filled conspiracy theories, they would be treated by the international community as pariahs — which is what happened to Idi Amin. Yet the Palestinian Arabs are given billions in international aid and world leaders call for the creation of a Palestinian Arab state. Why the double standard?
The ZOA points out that such accusations are widely believed among the Palestinian Arabs, which further demonstrates that they are consumed by irrational hatred and cannot be trusted to build a civilized democracy if they are given sovereign statehood.
Other recent Palestinian Arab conspiracy theories:
* ZIONISTS CARRYING OUT ANTI-SEMITIC ATTACKS IN FRANCE: Hafez Barghouti, editor of the official PA daily Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, said on PA Television in January 2004, that secret Zionist gangs in France have been blowing up Jewish synagogues in order to force them to immigrate [to Israel]. (PMW, Jan.11, 2004)
* ISRAEL RESPONSIBLE FOR MOSQUITOES IN GAZA: Basem Abu Dalal, the mayor of the town of Al-Nuseirat in PA-controlled Gaza, said that central Gaza is suffering a rampage by mosquitoes, and said the occupation was one of the factors responsible. (Even though Israel’s administration of the area ended in 1994.) (Jerusalem Times, Aug. 7, 2003)
* ISRAEL MURDERS ARAB CHILDREN TO GET THEIR ORGANS: The official PA newspaper Al-Hayat Al-Jadida reported on Dec. 24, 2001, that When the occupying authority holds the bodies of martyrs they steal body parts of the martyrs. Similarly, Arafat said on Al Jazeera Television on January 13, 2002, that the Israelis murder our kids and use their organs as spare parts.
* ISRAEL CAUSES MAD COW DISEASE: Maher Al-Dasouqi, director of the PA’s Committee for Consumer Protection, said: Citizens must be vigilant regarding chocolate from England, especially Cadbury’s, which is very popular in Palestinian markets, since the milk used in the production of all types of Cadbury’s chocolate was infected with mad cow disease. The sale of this chocolate is forbidden in England, but it was smuggled into the Palestinian regions by Israeli merchants (Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Dec.8, 1997)
* ISRAEL INFECTS ARAB CHILDREN WITH AIDS: Nabil Ramlawi, the PLO representative to the United Nations in Geneva, said: The Israeli authorities infected by injection 300 Palestinian children with the HIV virus during the years of the intifada. (Jerusalem Post, March 17, 1997)
* ISRAEL ASSASSINATED ITS OWN TOURISM MINISTER: In a three-part interview with Israel TV on Dec.7-9, 2001, Arafat said the Israeli Mossad was behind the assassination in Jerusalem of Israeli cabinet minister Rehavam Ze’evi.
* ISRAEL CARRIED OUT THE 9/11 ATTACKS: On Oct. 7, 2001, PA Radio reported that U.S. law enforcement officials have nabbed three cadres of Mossad operatives in New York in connection with the September 11 attacks. Mossad chief Ephraim Halevy said in Nov. 2001: Arafat tells everyone who will listen that the Mossad crashed into the Twin Towers in New York. Arafat lives in a world of lies and perpetual fantasy. (Israel Radio, Nov.26, 2001)
* ISRAEL USES NAKED WOMEN TO CAPTURE INTIFADA YOUTH: A front-page declaration in the official PA newspaper Al-Hayat Al-Jadida on Aug. 14, 2001, claimed that the occupation is using naked women to hunt down intifada youth. (Jerusalem Post, Aug.15, 2001)