A new poll has shown that Americans believe by an overwhelming 75% to 15% that if Palestinians obtain statehood in Judea, Samaria and Gaza, they will continue their campaign of terror to destroy the Jewish state. The poll, conducted jointly by Democrat Pat Caddell and Republican John McLaughlin, also found that:
· 71% of Americans believe that Jerusalem should remain the undivided capital of Israel, as opposed to a mere 9% who believe that the U.S. should force Israel to cede parts of Jerusalem, including Christian and Jewish holy sites, to the Palestinian Authority;
· 82% of Americans believe that Palestinians must recognize Israels right to exist as a Jewish state before obtaining statehood, as opposed to a mere 7% who disagree;
· 66% of Americans believe that Iran would attack Israel with nuclear weapons once it obtains them, as against 13% who believe otherwise;
· 70% of Americans believe that Iran would attack U.S. military bases and ships in the Persian Gulf and Middle East once it obtains nuclear weapons, as opposed to 21% who believe otherwise;
· 80% of Americans believe that, were Iran to obtain nuclear weapons, it would pass these onto terrorists with which to attack the U.S., as opposed to 12% who did not think so;
· 64% of Americans would approve of a military strike upon Iranian nuclear facilities in the event that international sanctions fail to stop Iran from continuing its nuclear weapons program, as opposed to 23% who would not approve such action (McLaughlin & Associates & Caddell Associates National Survey, August 10, 2011).
ZOA National Chairman of the Board Dr. Michael Goldblatt said, This latest survey shows that Americans continue to display strong support for Israel as a U.S. ally and clarity of understanding as to the nature of the Arab/Iranian war on Israel.
These findings are also consistent with numerous surveys (a list of which can be found here) taken by a range of pollsters indicating strong and clear American public support for Israel over the Palestinians.