The Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) urges the community to voice their objections to the Highland Park Public Library hosting a book reading by the author of a children’s alphabet book called P is for Palestine. The Library’s Board of Trustees cancelled a previously-scheduled reading of this book because so many members of the community – including the ZOA – rightly objected to its promotion and glorification of Palestinian Arab violence against Israelis and Jews.
The Board of Trustees will consider whether the Library should host this book reading, when it meets on Wednesday, June 5, at 7:30 p.m. in the Highland Park Community Center at 220 S 6th Avenue, Highland Park, NJ. The ZOA strongly urges community members to attend and let the Board know that hosting this book reading is wrong.
- P is for Palestine is a “Palestine alphabet book” covering each letter of the alphabet, together with a corresponding word. For the letter I, the book states: “I is for Intifada, Intifada is Arabic for rising up for what is right, if you are a kid or a grownup!”
- The book’s description of an intifada is false and misinforms children. In fact, an intifada is a murderous campaign of terrorism that wreaks devastation and fear on innocent Israelis and Jews, including children. During the Palestinian Arabs’ First (1987-1993) and Second (2000-20005) Intifadas, thousands of Israelis and Jews were killed and wounded.
- The Highland Park Public Library’s mission is to “build community by creating connections among Highland Park’s diverse populations.” The mere idea of this book reading has already divided, offended and hurt many community members. Proceeding with the book reading would cause even more division and pain, in violation of the Library’s mission.
- As the Board of Trustees acknowledges, the Highland Park Public Library is “a small town library, with an overstretched staff.” Its limited resources should serve the entire community – not those who hate Israel, deny its right to exist as a Jewish state, and endorse and glorify the killing of innocent Jews and Israelis.
- There are many programs that the Library can host for children that will truly educate them and build community, instead of destroying it. A book reading of P is for Palestine is not one of them.
ACT NOW and make sure your voice is heard!
Attend the Board of Trustees’ meeting on June 5 and let the Board know why it should not permit this book reading to proceed.If you can’t attend, write to the Board at Highland Park Public Library, 31 North 5th Ave., Highland Park, NJ 08904.
Click HERE to send an email to the Library’s Board of Trustees!
Call the Highland Park Public Library at (732) 572- 2750