Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) National President Morton A. Klein released the following statement:
On the very same day when over three hundred thousand Americans, Jews and non-Jews alike, travelled to Washington, D.C. to support Israel’s efforts to prevent Hamas from ever slaughtering innocent Jews again, President Joe Biden and Secretary of State Antony Blinken approved ten billion dollars of additional sanctions relief to the Iranian terror regime. (See “Biden Unlocks Fresh Funds to Iran Totaling Billions,” by Adam Kredo, Free Beacon, Nov. 13, 2023.)
It is beyond recklessly irresponsible, sickening and frightening that the Biden administration authorized releasing money to the Islamic Republic of Iran, while Iran is funding Hamas’ and Hezbollah’s and Iran’s other proxies murderous attacks against Israel and America. ZOA strongly condemns President Biden for approving these extraordinarily dangerous sanctions waivers for Iran, in disregard for the following pertinent facts and U.S. obligations:
- Iran is the top funder, weapons-supplier, operations-planner and trainer for Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ), Hezbollah and the Houthis. The administration’s release of more money to Iran will help the Iranian-backed Hamas and PIJ terrorists who murdered, raped, tortured and beheaded over 1,400 innocent Jews; are holding 240 innocent Jews and others hostage; are continuing to wage war against Israel and launched 10,000 rockets at Israel during the past 5 weeks; and vowed to repeat October 7th again and again until the Jewish State of Israel is destroyed. We will see even more death and destruction due to the release of these funds. Releasing these fungible funds to Iran thus thoroughly violates Biden’s vow of “rock solid and unwavering” support for Israel as Israel defends her people from Hamas.
- Releasing money to Iran also escalates the conflict and further inflames the entire region: Hezbollah and the Houthis will expand their attacks on Israel.
- Iranian-backed Hamas terrorists murdered 33 Americans on October 7th (among the 1,400-plus Jews Hamas murdered). Further, Hamas is holding approximately ten Americans hostage, including an orphaned 3-year-old American toddler whose parents were murdered by Hamas on October 7th. This is the largest American hostage crisis since Iranian terrorists took over the U.S. Embassy in Teheran in 1979. Releasing more money to Iran violates the president’s sacred duty to protect American citizens.
- Iran is “actively facilitating” (the administration’s own words) rocket and drone attacks by Iranian proxies on U.S. military bases in Iraq and Syria. Again, enriching Iran violates the president’s sacred duty to protect Americans.
- The Islamic Republic of Iran has been the leading sponsor of terror attacks against America for the past 46 years. We must never forget that Iran planned and facilitated the deadly attacks on the U.S. embassies in Lebanon, Tanzania and Kenya; the U.S. military barracks in Beirut; the U.S.S. Cole; Khobar Towers; and 9/11. It is a frightening, dangerous disgrace to further enrich a regime that repeatedly demonstrates that its goal is America’s and our ally Israel’s destruction.
After years of counterproductive appeasement and fruitless negotiations, it is clear that Iran will not change or moderate. Thus, the administration’s decision intentionally and knowingly strengthens the Iran terror regime at the worst possible time. We are horrified.