Requested Hamas Pledges As Worthless As Arafats Pledges
The Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) has called upon President Barack Obama to remain faithful to his pledge before and since being elected President not to deal with the Nazi-like, anti-American Hamas, the Palestinian Arab terrorist group dedicated in its Charter to the destruction of
The signatories urged President Obama to break with past
In addition to its genocidal intentions against Jews, Hamas terrorists have murdered over 500 Israelis in eight years of suicide bombings, road-side bombs, sniping and drive-by shootings. Hamas has also made vociferously hateful anti-American, anti-Western statements:
· Hamas spokesman Dr. Abd Al-Aziz Al-Rantisi: I think that the Wests arrogance will lead it to its sure end if it is determined to act with aggression and terror against the Islamic nation, and that its first defeat will be in Iraq (Hamas Spokesman: Iraq Must Establish a Suicide Army, Middle East Media Research Institute, January 8, 2003).
· Hamas Leader Khaled Mashaal:
· Hamas statement on death of Al-Qaedas Abbas Musab al Zarqawi: a brother fighter… who was martyred at the hands of the savage crusade campaign which targets the Arab homeland, starting in
· Abu Abdullah, a leader of Hamas Izzedine al-Qassam Martyrs Brigades: Asked which
· Hamas Ahmed Bahar, Speaker of the PA legislature: Allah, take hold of the Americans and their allies Allah, count them and kill them to the last one and dont leave even one. (PA Leader calls for killing all Jews and Americans, Palestinian Media Watch, April 20, 2007).
ZOA National President Morton A. Klein said, The advice being offered to President Obama by several advisers, many of them with a long record of hostility to Israel, that he should deal with Hamas, is based on the extraordinarily naïve or malign idea that a bloodthirsty group of terrorists can become responsible and acceptable peace partners provided that they utter the right words on a few occasions when the cameras are rolling.
Do these Obama advisers not recall that we went through the same charade with Yasser Arafat years ago? Then we were asking of Arafat, as we are asking Hamas now, to utter the right words about renouncing terror, accepting
So look where this policy of demanding words got us. Further back in history, in 1938, we have another example where words meant nothing. We granted Hitler negotiations and huge concessions when he simply uttered phony words of peace that in the end consumed
In short, getting career haters and terrorists to say certain words, or even sign certain agreements, is not a policy because, when they do, it means nothing. Therefore, even if Hamas uttered the few words that were asking of them, the result would be the same as it was when we dealt with Arafat. Words and signatures mean nothing when they come from murderers. Surely if such people are capable of murdering they are capable of lying. We are really asking Hamas to lie to us so we can give them recognition and financial aid.
From where comes this idea that the most despicable terrorists can be rehabilitated by uttering mere words? Current
If a serial murder like Charles Manson were to claim he had repented of his unspeakable crimes, would we suddenly drop all objections about, and feel comfortable with, our daughters dating him? If the Ku Klux Klan started issuing statements that it renounced hatred of African-Americans, would we start appointing their leaders to the boards of civil rights commissions? Of course not. The idea is laughable.
If President Obama follows this advice, it will only result in a victory for Islamist terrorism, including the most murderous Palestinian elements, and help prolong the conflict.
By helping Palestinians put off the day when they genuinely reform their society to purge it of jihadist and violent, rejectionist elements, we would be worsening and prolonging the conflict, not managing or ending it.
This wrong-headed and dangerous advice to engage Hamas would, if adopted, result in a weakening of European governmental demands that Hamas accept
We urge President Obama to repudiate the notion of dealing with Hamas, which would only harm all the Presidents objectives in the Middle East to foster political moderation in the